I’ve read like 37 negative stories in the news about this crazy app called Pokémon Go. Robberies, injuries, accidents, hacking etc. Be aware, don’t go alone, stay in familiar places, exercise the not so common common sense. Let’s take a step back and think about how this might actually be a good thing.
1. People are actually walking and getting off of their butts and out of the house. In the past 3 nights I have walked over 10 kilometers. I have not exercised this much since before I got pregnant 2 years ago. America has problems with obesity and adults and children not being active. This app has people up off their you know what’s. This may lead to other apps of the sorts motivating people to do the same. People are going outside of their comfort zones, who cares that it is to chase little fictitious pocket monsters around, it’s great that people are up and moving!
2. People are meeting people. I have seen more people out and met more people in our little town in the past 3 days than I have in the past 3 years we have lived here. This is not an exaggeration. It is true. It is crazy. I think we all feel like nerds, but hey, we are enjoying it, making new friendships and building ones that were already there.
3. Families are spending time together. We spent over an hour out walking together, conversing with one another 2 nights in a row. And I can’t wait to do it again tomorrow.
4. You have to problem solve and be resourceful. This component is huge. There is no tutorial when you start the app. You have to figure everything out on your own. You have to discover how to do things, where to find things, what everything means. You have to seek out others for help whether face to face or virtually. Pretty cool!
5. It’s good hearted competitive fun. You can compete with your friends and family to see who can catch more, or evolve the most.
Oh you can also get some pretty funny pictures. I would cry like this if a wild rat was by my feet too!